Pastors and Staff
Rev. Davis Bailey
: Bridge Interim
Davis, grew up in Hernando, MS, a baptized Presbyterian since before he can remember. He attended the University of Mississippi where he met his wife, Julie, at a Presbyterian college retreat. After graduation he worked at First Tennessee Bank for a couple of years before Julie and he relented to a call to ministry. They graduated from Columbia Theological Seminary a year apart but were both ordained on the same day as Associate Pastors at Evergreen Presbyterian Church in Memphis. After 3 years he moved across town to become the Pastor of Buntyn Presbyterian Church. After 5 years at Buntyn he and Julie decided to move back to Decatur for Julie to become the Director of Alumni and Church Relations for Columbia. They moved believing that God would continue to honor his call to congregational ministry and that he would find a church in due time.
Davis has 2 precocious and curious daughters, Miriam, 7, and Elizabeth, 5. He enjoys good stories, playing guitar, and tennis; and is constantly in awe of the people his daughters are becoming, the wonder of nature, and the way ancient scripture still resonates with a contemporary world. Davis is very excited to walk alongside Buford Presbyterian Church for this transition phase in both his life and the life of the church.
Rev. Carrie Barnes
: Associate Pastor
Carrie, a native of Summerville, South Carolina, grew up “running up and down the aisles”* of Dorchester Presbyterian Church where she was ordained as a Teaching Elder in October 2013. Carrie is a graduate of Presbyterian College and Columbia Theological Seminary. Prior to seminary, Carrie served as Director of Christian Education in churches in Tampa, Florida and Charleston, South Carolina.
Carrie is married to her best friend, Hamilton. Together they have two beautiful children, Miller and Violet. They also enjoy smoking BBQ and cooking, watching college football (even if Hamilton does pull for the wrong team) and hanging out with friends and family.
Founded in 1890 with 14 charter members, Buford Presbyterian Church previously stood on Main Street in downtown Buford, Georgia. The building was destroyed by fire in 1922 and replaced in 1925 with a sturdier brick building at 170 Main Street. During the 1920's the church grew to about 60 members and was supplied by students from Columbia Theological Seminary. Membership grew slowly and a full-time pastor was not called until 1973 when the Rev. Bill Crosland was installed.
In 1974 the Greater Atlanta Presbytery purchased the current 8-acre lot on Buford Highway in Sugar Hill, GA. The groundbreaking ceremony for the new building was held on July 10, 1983, and the congregation celebrated Holy Communion in the new sanctuary on October 14, 1984. The building underwent re-modeling and enlargement including a new sanctuary and educational space in 1996-1997. We added additional facilities in 2003 including the Fellowship Hall and additional educational space.
Established in 1988, Buford Presbyterian Weekday School offers half-day early education preschool and kindergarten programs to children ages 12 months through six. This award-winning program provides an environment rich in personal, loving experiences that focuses on the development of the whole child; spiritually, socially, emotionally, physically and intellectually. For more information about this ministry, please visit the school's web site.